Juneau

Juneau

Monday, February 1, 2021

Cards

 I'm so thankful I was raised in a house where we played cards and that my family continues to enjoy playing cards. Cribbage, euchre, and hearts are my favorites and carrying a deck of cards to restaurants, ferry trips, or church meetings has entertained us for many an hour. 

I appreciate cards not only for their entertainment value, but their amazing life lessons:

1. Pay attention to body language. Playing cards is not only about the cards in your hands, but also having a sense of what other people have in their hands (without mirrors or getting up to get a drink so you can look).

2. You don't have to talk. I'm happy to chat when playing cards (unless it makes you delay your turn), but there is no pressure to fill every moment with conversation. I used to take Sophie to the long term care with me when she was little to play Crazy 8s with a fellow there who had a stroke and could only swear or sing. That was fun. I'd have to help Sophie out every now and she'd start yelling "card looker" and the fellow would start swearing and there would be a ruckus. I truly loved those moments because it was hard to visit and know what to say, but we had fun playing cards.

3. Learn how to wait your turn and how to lose/win gracefully. You should watch me when we play cribbage because I will steal the deal if I can get away with it. A lot of the card games I like have big advantages for the dealer and you have to learn to wait until your time comes, unless the other person isn't paying attention. This may not be the winning hand, but there is always next time. Winning or losing one round doesn't define you for life so don't take it too personally. 

4. There is a symbiotic relationship between luck and skill. Unless you're playing war (a card game I hate) or you're a genius at statistics, then you live in the tension between skill and chance.  Cards help me figure out how much risk I am willing to accept. I've learned how to assess the hand I'm dealt, the chances of it winning, and when I need to cut my losses. These are helpful skills, especially when decision making is paralyzing because of the fear of missing out on something, failing, or looking like a fool. Assess, risk, and adjust. 

5. Play more. Cards engage something in our brains and relationships that watching a movie doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I love watching movies, but playing cards actually makes us grow in our relationships with each other.




No comments: