Juneau

Juneau

Monday, June 25, 2018

Just As He Was

I’m weary of the labels liberal and conservative. They’ve just become annoying. 

This is going to sound insensitive, but when I hear “liberal” or “conservative” as a way of defining people I immediately think “folks who are so sure of themselves they won’t be much fu
The world would be happier with more front
porch swings
n at a dinner party.” 

If the conversation ends up on guns or abortion or immigration, then we will get a sermon, and I know better than anyone that sermons can be boring. 

Sermons are boring if they are a “moral talk.” I’m pretty sure that any lecture given to people on what they should believe or do will be lovely for the lazy, but everyone else will stop listening and start making grocery lists or dreaming about Hugh Jackman.

I don’t use the term “boring” lightly either. I’d rather say “shit” a million times, than hear the word boring, but there is a certain amount of tedium in the current political atmosphere.

I love conversing about politics, but I’m finding folks tend to lean towards being “hard-hearted” or “open-hearted”. 

I’m not much interested in trying to engage in discussions with folks whose hearts are cemented with certainty, even if I agree with where they end up. Give me some mushy hearts because they tend to have sharp minds. Those who are molded by humble compassion can meet me where I am and help me figure out a faithful way to go.

There was a beautiful line in Sunday’s Gospel reading that I’d never heard before. It was the story of Jesus calming the storm, but it talked about the disciples picking Jesus up in the boat, “just as he was.” That’s a fascinating line. Was Jesus stinky, exhausted, grumpy, overwhelmed . . . ? 


It made me think that maybe meeting folks just as they are with an open heart is the most faithful way to live instead of labeling each other or ourselves with such meaningless categories. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Chip McMillan talking: Thoughtful, well-written, timely and especially insightful. I would love to have a philosophical ("Sophie" = wisdom, knowledge, or something, right?) conversation including our children regarding how to reconcile the divide of which you speak. How is it possible for 50% of the population to be "dead right" and 50% be "dead wrong" when deep down inside we are all basically "good."

Tari Stage-Harvey said...

Thanks Chip. There is a fascinating push for an either/or world. I just heard this morning a reporter ask if someone was for "open borders" or "closed borders." Those aren't helpful ways to divide people because I'm guessing most of us live in the middle of those choices. I've also found the terms "good" and "bad" less than helpful. I think people will default to the easiest path and then make up reasons why it's the right thing to do. We love philosophical conversations:)