Juneau

Juneau

Monday, March 30, 2020

Icons

The death of Kenny Rogers made me sad. He was one of my childhood memories right along with Elvis. I made my kids learn the refrain to The Gambler because I'm sure it is on the citizenship test to be an American. 

Kenny Rogers was an American icon, but I've never quite forgiven him for all the plastic surgeries. I'm a firm believer that country musicians should have deep wrinkles if they have lived half their songs.

Like John Prine. 

He is not as well known in America as Kenny, but wears his wrinkles well. Yesterday I was anxious when he was in critical care with that virus that shall not be named. John Prine is like an icon in the traditional sense; he is a window into what is eternal. He's written over 120 songs, including my favorite love song In Spite of Ourselves

Prine is more than a poet; he is master of puns, parables, wit and stories that capture the messiness of being human. He is able to weave words in such a way that they are an experience. Like most great art, when I listen to many of Prine's songs, I feel revealed in my brokenness and offered some grace to live in love instead of regret. 

I have no idea what his faith is, but I wish him a swift recovery. His songs are part of my faith journey. We need prophets like him; we need icons that give us a glimpse of the story God is telling in this world. 

No comments: