Juneau

Juneau

Monday, February 18, 2019

Dirt

In case you were worried, I did get a "female portable urinating device" for my birthday. 

I'm not going to put it in the InstantPot category (things I think I want and never use), but I must confess it isn't as obvious or as easy as I imagined. I need a little more practice before I take it out in public.

My highlight so far was strapping it to my head after I opened it and making all kinds of inappropriate jokes. I wonder sometimes what my children will remember about their childhood.
A really big book from Sophie

One of my favorite birthday rituals at our place, besides amazing cakes, is when we go around the table and talk about how the birthday person has blessed us. It still makes me smile to replay the comments of "you fill our lives with laughter and love" and "you help us make memorable stories." It's a beautiful ritual and I cherish it because I can get wrapped up in all my crabby moments, regrets, and mistakes. 

I do think it's important to be self-aware and receive criticism. Theater taught me long ago that we need healthy criticism to grow as people. 

But there is an equal gift in learning how to receive affirmations. It's enough to smile and treasure compliments without trying to diminish or dismiss them. 

Humility is not belittling one's own worth, but recognizing what grounds you. Humility comes from the root "humus" - the ground, the dirt. 

There are so many images in the church around dirt. 

-God playing in the dirt creating humanity and breathing life into creation. 

-Ash Wednesday with the ashes placed on foreheads reminding ourselves we are dust and to dust we shall return. 

-Gravesides where a handful of dirt is thrown in and the words, "In sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life through our Lord Jesus Christ, we commend to almighty God our sister and we commit her body to the ground, earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

Humility is not about insulting yourself or questioning your worth; it's about recognizing the fleeting gift of life, your lack of control over so much of it, and the freedom of being loved and loving well. 

Pride is thinking you are or should be in charge; humility is releasing the control and living with the trust that love is eternal. 

So, the next time someone says you look good with a female portable urinating device strapped to you head, you simply smile and say thank you.


1 comment:

Danica said...

Im thankful to receive this reminder of humility this morning. It’s goid for the soul. Ona lighter note, now I too want a female unirnary device. Great stuff Teri! Thanks!