Juneau

Juneau

Monday, February 11, 2019

Alaska

My favorite part of serving as a chaplain in the Legislature is getting to park in the fire escape where there are large signs saying, "NO PARKING." I did get booted once when I drove Rusty, the little truck aptly named, but I love that I'm following directions and breaking rules all at one time. Life is such a paradox.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for politicians. It is not an easy vocation and I respect the work they are called to do. I'm trying not to label people as idiots no matter how destructive I think their arrogance and narrow minded agendas are. Name calling is not helpful, but praying is, so that's what I try to do.

Prayer humanizes and connects; it helps us recognize our limits and release some control.

Alaska is feeling a little chaotic so I leaned heavily on other people's words for prayers this year. The pressure is particularly high and I'm pretty sure they are refusing to heat the House chambers until they organize.

It's a privilege to live in this state that often takes my breath away and so I'm thankful for the opportunity to invite God's love and grace into our state's discernment process.

Wednesday's prayer:
I offer the following prayer of reconciliation based on the Celtic Book of Prayer

Lord, 
let our memory 
provide no shelter
for grievance against each other

Lord, 
let our heart
provide no harbor
of rancor for each other

Lord,
let our tongue
be no accomplice
in the judgment of each other


Let us be ambassadors of reconciliation, seeking a way of integrity and justice together. And if we cannot work together, then at least give us humor and goodwill towards one another.


And Friday's prayer:
Today, 141 years ago, Martin Buber, one of the great Jewish thinkers was born so I offer his poem as part of our prayer.

 We cannot avoid
Using power,
Cannot escape the compulsion
To afflict the world,
So let us, cautious in diction
And mighty in contradiction,
Love powerfully.
-Martin Buber (1926)

Open our hearts to love not as a fuzzy feeling, but as a commitment to defend the humanity in ourselves and others

Open our eyes to see the gifts in others as well as the blind spots in ourselves

Open our hands so we don’t cling tightly to power and control but reach out for help and guidance


Help us to love powerfully. To use our influence in this world so all creation might live in Your fullness.





No comments: