Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Trips

It’s a plane day as I write this because I know I won't feel like writing after riding roller coasters all day.  

I realized this morning (Monday)
at 3:30 am, it’s been a long time since I’ve taken a crew of youth on a trip. We normally do family service trips where everyone goes and there is something absolutely wonderful about not feeling responsible for a group of youth. There’s also something wonderful about sneaking off as adults to play cards in the bar-I won’t lie.

But, here I am feeling responsible. Luckily I have Adam along as a responsible adult who is much younger than I am and an extrovert. He brought ten packs of those nasty jellybeans where some are yummy and some are gross. Helpful hint from me, don’t throw a handful in your mouth at one time.

We are traveling with a great group of youth. They are a bit nerdish but don’t tell them. The fact that Banagrams and Set are some of their favorite games is revealing enough. 

Tomorrow is Roller Coaster Day. I kind of love roller coasters. I’m also kind of emotive when I am on them and waiting in line for them and after I ride them. I’m pretty sure that I will be hanging around with the boys all day because the girls have already censured my behavior.

I’ve quickly been reminded why I love taking folks on trips:

-We get out of our comfort zone and learn to trust each other, explore new things, and  figure out what kind of people we really are

-We meet new folks and get pushed into new situations

-We learn the fine arts of compromising and using manners

-We see each other silly. Adolescence can be so exhausting as a parent because we don’t get to see our kids silly any more. They might get goofy with friends but it stops when an adult enters. On trips, we just get too tired and wired on sugar to care.

-We have time to talk about important stuff and silly stuff.

I’m trying not to do a running commentary on the junk they eat. Instead I strike bargains. 

Yes, you can consume that entire bag of Skittles if you eat something resembling a vegetable. 

Yes, you can have a can of pop when you finish your water. 

Yes, eat all those french fries as long as you eat them with catsup, since it is considered a vegetable by the USDA. That last one is sarcasm. 


I do limit their time and my time on phones and such. We all are working on being present where we are and open to the surprises God has in store. Like most experiences it will be as miserable or joyful as we make it. Showing up and being open are big parts of following Jesus. Sleeping might be helpful too.

2 comments:

Martin Eldred said...

The proper way in which to eat french fries is with mayo anyway.

Danica said...

Like most experiences it will be as miserable or enjoyable as I make it. Agreed!