Juneau

Juneau

Monday, November 23, 2020

To Everything a Season

 A woman told me once about when she moved to Juneau sight unseen and was socked in for her first three weeks. Just when she was about to despair of this gray, claustrophobic new home, the clouds dissipated and she saw the mountains for the first time. She told me she erupted in tears of joy and surprise. 

I rarely take pictures on days like today, even though we spend two-thirds of our time with cloud cover. There are folks who talk about surviving days like this so they can enjoy the few days of sunshine that are over the top beautiful; I've come to love the gray. It isn't as photo worthy, but it's a different rhythm without the demands of a sunny day.

To everything there is a season. Thank you Ecclesiastes and the Byrds. I have to keep reminding myself that now is not the time for certain things. This will be the first Thanksgiving spent with just our immediate family in my life. We've always had huge Thanksgivings and normally I cook for a crew at church. I'm disappointed and grieving, but there will come a time. 

The list is long that we are trying to navigate during this time. Sometimes the weight of responsibility and worry feel like the clouds socking us in. 

But it is only for a season. 

There will come a time.

The clouds will dissipate and the sun will reveal the beauty that's been there the whole time and there's a good chance I'll erupt with tears of joy and surprise.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen...Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours...