Juneau

Juneau

Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year

I wish our New Year's celebration involved shortbread cookies. I'm having a little Diwali envy as I sit here wondering if I have to stay awake until midnight. 

Diwali is full of rituals and I like rituals in the same way I like square dancing. There's a part of me that loves being told what to do, then I don't stand there looking awkward trying to be creative.

Diwali is the five day Hindu New Year where the triumph of good over evil, light over dark, wisdom over ignorance is celebrated. It was one of my favorite times in Malaysia where entryways were decorated with intricate designs out of colored powders. Folks spent hours designing flowers and symbols to be swept away in the wind or footsteps. What a fantastic way to remember the fleeting gift of the beautiful present.

And shortbread cookies. Any holiday that involves shortbread is high on my list, unless there is one that includes ginger cookies.

Our family celebrated the transition of time by buying a bunch of books. What kind of nerds plan a vacation around bookstores? (I need you to know that I bought mysteries based in China, Germany, Italy, and lots of religious books).  

We wanted some time filled with books, public transportation, and ethnic food to mark these holy days. Sometimes we seek out uncomfortable situations just so we can gather interesting stories and develop character.

Best food was the Ethiopian restaurant, even though we had to wait over an hour for our food. We got several rounds of Hearts played.

Best entertainment was the retro arcade with Frogger, Ms. Pac Man, and at least a dozen pinball games. I love pinball and Kirt and I got to relive pre-kid days when we would walk to the Village Inn in St. Ignace and play South Park pinball until we ran out of quarters. 

I can't think of a better way to celebrate the new year than giggling and getting to know my family again. And buying books. And eating yummy food. 

I hope everyone has some wonderful rituals to mark the fleeting gift of the beautiful present.


Dumplings and spicy sauces in Seattle



Amtrak where we started the Hearts marathon.

As soon as we get into a city, we seek out the woods

And a stroll that always turns into a death march

We don't have enough climbable trees in Juneau so Sophie has to make up for it when we travel

The mansion we hiked to and then felt too lazy and cheap to pay to go into, but we stood outside taking pictures for people so they didn't have to pull out selfie sticks. Those are just weird.

The Egyptian coffee bar in a double decker bus with the most amazing Egyptian coffee (it's the same as Turkish coffee, except the owner is Egyptian.)

The biggest pita we've ever seen and Hannah feeling disgruntled that her sister wanted to put it on her face.


Powell's bookstore!


No comments: