Juneau

Juneau

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Toilet Paper

I am strangely obsessed with toilet paper.

I try not to be judgmental, but I definitely judge people and places by their toilet paper. 

Airport toilet paper tends to be the worst. National Airport has lovely toilet paper and Dallas has the best music in the bathroom so the tissue paper is a little more acceptable.

I really don't understand the new trend for bigger, fatter rolls. They don't fit on the toilet paper holder and I end up wasting half of it trying to get it to roll right. 

I suppose I should just be thankful for toilet paper because it was pretty scarce in Tanzania. I tried to keep some extra paper in my pocket because I like having my left hand available for human contact. 

The most horrifying moment was when I suddenly got sick at a fellow student's house. If you've never heard the sound of violent diarrhea reverberate through the house, then you are a lucky person. So there I am squatting over this hole trying not to think about what lives in the hole or the other people in the house, but thankful I had toilet paper. That wasn't actually helpful because when I finally could exit, out host began the long production of preparing water for me to wash my hands with and I told him not to worry about it. It was quite the extensive process. He looked at me with the greatest horror I've ever seen and only later did I realize why he never shook my hand again.

I probably talk about poop and toilet paper more than is appropriate in polite company, but I do think these aspects of life are as vital to our faith as all the tidy stuff, if not more so. As my doctor said, "You can tell a lot about a person by their poop." 

I love that there is a Jewish prayer to honor the functioning of the digestive system, "Asher Yatzar" is to be recited after you have a healthy bowel movement.

Blessed are You, Hashem, our G-d, King of the universe, Who formed man with wisdom and created within him many openings and many hollows (cavities). It is obvious and known before Your Throne of Glory that if but one of them were to be ruptured or if one of them were to be blocked it would be impossible to survive and to stand before You (even for a short period of time). Blessed are You, Hashem, Who heals all flesh and acts wonderously." 

Praising God even in the midst of what we consider our shame and waste. Just something to think about.

No comments: