Juneau

Juneau

Monday, June 19, 2017

Moonstruck

I just finished watching Moonstruck with my girls. 

There were no guys at home so it seemed like a good time to watch this hilarious romance with Cher and Nicolas Cage. I love this movie for many reasons, but one reason is the plethora of great quotes:

"Old man you give those dogs another piece of my food, I'll kick you till your dead."

"Someday you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!"

"Love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die" 

I didn't realize there was such a death theme until I strung all the quotes together. It's not action packed and wouldn't do well in 3-D, but we all laughed, smiled, and cried a little bit (maybe the tears were just me).

It got me thinking about all my favorite lines (they might not be correct, but they are what I remember without looking them up)

Blues Brothers:
There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.

When Harry Met Sally:
You look like a normal person, but actually you are the angel of death.

Gone With the Wind:
I'll think about it tomorrow; after all tomorrow is another day.

Talladega Nights:
Old man, I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey.

I have a good chunk of Monty Python movies memorized and strangely enough some of The Exorcist

If you know me at all, then you know it is dangerous to take me to a movie theater especially if it is scary. The Exorcist is scary, but there was a cute boy with a mullet in college who went in to see it so I dragged my college roommate in with me to watch it also. Mistake upon mistake. We hid behind a chair watching him and listening to the movie. The only redeeming part is how often some of those quotes come in handy.

It's funny to think about what you have memorized. There are so many weird quotes from such random sources wandering around in my head. 
We've been memorizing the 23rd Psalm in church. It seems like a handy poem to have wandering around in my mind, as well as hymns, fragments of Bible verses, books, conversations, lyrics and lots of movie quotes. I had a professor who often said something like, "you'll never be bored if you have memories."

No comments: