Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mountain Goats

I'm surprised a mountain goat hasn't tried to mate with me yet. 

I've mastered the mating call. You can hear it any time we get near the cliff by Nugget Falls where they like to hang out. I can't keep myself from bleating out a MAAA! 

My children have become weary of my attempts to woo the mountain goats down and find it somewhat embarrassing, but I remind them that one of these days a goat is going to perk its head up and then come flying down the cliff towards me.

They ask me the question that I'm sure is also on your mind, "And what would you do then, mom?" 

I do think one of my contributions to this world is my creativity. I can imagine, dream, and plan significant visions.  But I'm not always gifted in knowing what should be left undone. What should I leave behind? What is not brilliant, but foolhardy or even destructive?

We need visionaries, but only if they surround themselves with people who ask good questions and who are good observers of reality. I don't need naysayers because that only makes me a bit more rebellious and more likely to mate with a mountain goat just out of spite. 

I need scientists, poets, musicians, mathematicians, politicians, law enforcement, philosophers, theologians . . . I need those who are trained to observe, ask questions, and reflect on what they see and hear. I need those who challenge my brilliant idea without negating it. 

I don't trust leaders who aren't surrounded by those who challenge and help form brilliant ideas into workable and creative visions. This is true on a national, state, and local scale, but even in our families, schools, and churches.

We raise up leaders not by raising up bullies who insist on their own way, but visionaries who are surrounded by those who can help shape a brilliant idea into something doable. 

This happens at our church council meetings all the time. One of us will throw out an idea that might be somewhat outlandish. There's a whirlwind of "what ifs", but before too long, we get to a plan or we drop it. You can't be too emotionally attached to an idea or take things personally, but willing to let the community help shape it. 

Not that I think getting a goat to respond to my mating call is a brilliant idea, but my kids did suggest I might get closer to the goats if I were quieter. See how helpful listening to the advice of other's can be?



No comments: