Juneau

Juneau

Monday, July 11, 2016

Sorry

I love the fact that the sweet Canadian girl at the visitor center in one of the provincial parks explained to me that the tunnel is the safe way to make it to Niagara Falls. The dark, scary tunnel full of rocks and a couple of signs telling you to keep out is the safest way to the trail in the park marked on the map. She also told me that I should walk on the abandoned railroad trestle high above the canyon. I asked if it was allowed and her answer was, “Everyone does it.”

Here’s what you have to love about Canada. They don’t have near the signage and idiot patrol that the US does. You won’t see a sign by the cliff warning you not to fall off the cliff. There is an assumption you will figure it out and if you don’t at least you will take responsibility and not sue them. 

Canadians don’t tend to live with the illusion there is always someone else to blame and accidents can all be prevented. Horrible accidents happen and you can go through all the what ifs that could have prevented them, but ultimately none of us make brilliant choices 100% of the time. 

I’m not opposed to warnings and safety guards, but I’m tired of them as a way of preventing lawsuits instead of increasing access and engagement with life. 

I keep two Edward Abbey quotes on my desk. He was an environmentalist as well as an anarchist so a little radical for my Midwest ways, but his quotes keeps me grounded. I love this blessing:

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. 

It is a lie to imagine we can keep or should always keep people safe. When we turn safety and comfort into essential values of our culture, then we create numb cowards who hand their freedom and responsibility over to someone else.

Our climate of litigation makes leaders who are unwilling to admit fault and communities looking for someone else to blame. 


Canadians have their own issues. It’s fun to bring up any of them just to hear them say sorry. But, being in the dark, scary tunnel and then shaking in terror on the railroad trestle were good reminders of why we need access to frightening experiences. It’s the only way to become braver. And abundant life demands courage.

No comments: