Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Nationals

I'm in Orlando. 

I'm sure there are happy people who live here in the magic of Disney, but it is not in my comfort zone. I am happy to be with daughter #2 at the National USA Jump Rope Championship. I never get to chaperone secular trips so this is kind of fun to just be a mom and not a pastor or overly responsible adult. 

I am realizing in these first 36 hours with only two hours of sleep that I have huge gaps of talent.

Things outside my skill set:

  • Heat
  • Braiding hair on a moving bus
  • Standing in line without whining or singing 80s songs
  • Sleeping in hotel rooms (even though the hotel room was a welcome relief to the five hours spent in the playroom in the lobby at the Disney Resort). I've given up on germ issues and just wallow in public bathrooms now.
  • Heat
  • Sitting next to a ten year old on a six hour flight who chomped his gum and kicked me the entire time. Around 2:00 am I believe I might have stared at him with some disdain because he curled up closer to his mother.
  • Watching Men In Black 3 without weeping through the whole thing because I know in the end his dad dies. Maybe that's why the kid kept kicking me on the plane.
  • Heat
  • Sitting still and waiting for something to happen
  • Following directions
  • Listening to Mickey Mouse's voice in the playroom for five hours while trying to sleep without screaming or punching the screen.
Coping skills:
Coffee: I packed a coffee maker and 24 oz. of ground coffee. I think this will see me through the trip. It might be an addiction, but it keeps me from punching Mickey.

Sleep: I know the power of naps. I also know that I have to bring my own sleeping pad, pillow, and sleeping bag. I'm a freak, but I've figured out how to sleep as a freak.

Humor: I'm so slap happy that I'm laughing at pretty much everything that comes my way. It's a little disturbing for the people around me, but that keeps them questioning my sanity.

Mr. Potato Head and 80s songs: We're staying at Pop Century Resort, which has gigantic icons from each decade peppering the lawn. We're sleeping in the 80s section so Ah-ha, Men at Work, Wham, Cyndi Lauper, and all the other greats are playing on loudspeakers a regular basis. It prepares me well for the line standing. 

There is a huge Mr. And Mrs. Potato Head in the middle courtyard. They are fabulous, but I knew I was getting loopy when I caught myself talking to them. Then I realized how comforting I found their presence. Then I started to think about what a fascinating image for God Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head could be. Then I went to my room and got my two hours of sleep.

Skee ball: What can't be fixed with skee ball? Way cheaper than therapy and available in our hotel for only a small fee.

Perspective: I get to step out of all the other roles in my life that consume me and be a mom to just one child and a goofball to several others. It's a huge gift even with heat and a heightened awareness of alligators.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so disappointed Mikayla didn't go this year. Because then I would have gone and witnessed you talking to Mr. And Mrs. Potato Head. I am glad you have this 'just being a Mom' experience. Sorry I missed it. Glad you have the coffee situation planned out.

Tari Stage-Harvey said...

The girls think I'm a little crazy, but it was hilarious watching their faces as I unpacked. I have been the envy of other parents as I walk around the hotel with my freshly brewed coffee.