Juneau

Juneau

Monday, March 7, 2016

Balls and Nuts

I had serious ball envy the other night. He had rainbow illuminated ones and I now have them on my wish list. The cool thing about illuminated balls is your tricks don't have to be that amazing. Everything is more impressive when the lights are turned off.

I know what you are thinking. 

I am so incredibly juvenile and there is no end to ball and nut jokes. 

Not true. 

I made it through an entire day without one castration joke after someone told me about his diverticulitis and how sad he was that  he couldn't have any more nuts. No one can expect me to keep up that self control once the sun set and we started talking about steer. How I made it through pastoral care class I'll never know.

But the juggler we saw the other night was amazing with his light up balls, seven foot unicycle, and knorches (mix of knife and torches). I am inspired so you might want to keep sharp and flammable things away from me. Light up balls really are the safest bet to keep me consoled.

My favorite part in the show was when he threw his juggling balls back into the storage box and we all cheered. He stopped the show and asked us what the hell we were doing. 

I juggled five clubs, threw one over my shoulder, kicked it with my foot back over my head and kept juggling and you all didn't clap. But, when I throw three balls into a box from four feet away you get excited?

I drooled I was laughing so hard. One of my many issues. It's so stinking true of life. Sometimes I pour my heart and soul into something that barely gets acknowledged. What a blow to the old 
ego. Then, I throw crap together and folks think it's amazing. 

Why is that?

Here are my guesses:
1. We affirm the obvious. I know it's true of sermons. Lazy sermons often get the most affirmations because the preacher has probably stated what people expect and that makes folks feel good.

2. We often want folks to succeed. His act before the great ball throw was pretty lame so I think the crowd generally wanted him to be redeemed.

3. If something is so complex that we can't immediately process it, then we tend to check out or at least our brains take a few more minutes to figure out what is happening. Some things stun us and we need time and space to respond. 

4. We are so engaged in an impressive moment that clapping or cheering take us out of it. 

The best bet if you have to be in front of people is to check your ego and prepare the most diligently and faithfully that you can. You can't ever control how people respond; you can only control what you present and how you respond.

Sometimes it stinks because you may put lots of work and head injuries into a new trick and no one seems to care. Or lots of hours into a sermon, or a project, or a presentation and no one gives you a standing ovation. 

It's okay because ultimately it's not about you. Performances are a gift. Sermons are a proclamation. Projects are teaching experiences. Once you've done your work, you have to let them go. If we build our identities and worth around how people respond, then we'll be completely neurotic. 

And if there is an awkward lull where I feel like a failure, I always figure that ball and nut jokes are a great back-up plan.

No comments: