Juneau

Juneau

Monday, January 4, 2021

Piano

It's the pandemic purge at our house. We started getting rid of some of the furniture in our living room and now it feels like everything has to go. I'm sure we're not the only household doing this (Juneau Buy, Sell, Trade is hopping), but we've lived here over a decade and it was time to go through some stuff.


Like CDs. 


I know we probably should get rid of them, but I love holding music in a way that streaming doesn't allow. I like the jackets with pictures and the songs listed. Yes, I haven't listened to a CD in five years, but I made up for that last week. I forgot how hard I laugh when I hear The Temptations sing, "Beauty is Only Skin Deep". Seriously, who wants a guy singing to her, "A pretty face you may not possess, but what I like about you is your tenderness. A pretty face maybe some guys taste, but I'll take lovin' in it's place?"


But there were things we released. I just took apart the puzzle we spent all break working on. There was a lot of blood, sweat and tears that went into those 500 pieces.


And we passed the piano on to a home where it would be played and loved again. I got a little teary, because there's a lot of memories wrapped up in that instrument. Yes, there was fighting over practicing for lessons, but there was some beautiful music and singalongs that erupted along the way too.


I struggle with the impermanence of life. I'm inclined to hold on to things, especially books, but I've learned the gift of saying blessings so I can learn to let go. I take a moment and give thanks for the gift that object has been in my life, for the experiences, and maybe even a moment for tears. 


There are lots of blessings in our Lutheran prayerbook, but basically a blessing shows appreciation for the gift given, an acknowledgement of how it has built up the community or your own self, and a promise that it will be tended well. 


Thank you for this object or what has been, for the person it has helped me become, may I be a good steward of it now as I keep or release it. 


It's not magic, but blessings help us find our way through all our stuff so we don't fall into mindless consuming or sentimental hoarding. 


And if you want a couch and loveseat, we're getting rid of ours.



No comments: