Juneau

Juneau

Monday, October 26, 2020

Snowflakes

 We've been watching quite a few movies recently that have to do with time travel: Back to the Future, Endgame, and Harry Potter.

Here is what I realize - don't mess with time. 

Unless snowflakes are involved. 

I don't believe in or ever hope for time travel to solve our problems and regrets, but spending an afternoon with children in the snow may be the most amazing time travel one needs. 

I got to walk with three boys this past Sunday as part of our church's walk and talks. We were gifted with big flaky snow that was perfect for catching on your tongue. We managed not to run into each other or fall down while attempting to do this and every sweet memory of childhood came rushing back as those flakes landed on my eyelids and giggles erupted around me. I then told them how I loved to imagine I was a space cowboy and would pretend I was traveling through space shooting at the stars when I looked up at snow. Then we started making zing zing zing sounds together shooting snowflakes/stars because I'm not alone in imagining that. 

When Jesus says, "Truly I tell you unless you become like little children you will never enter the kingdom of heaven," I do not think he was talking about how holy and perfect little kids are. I'm around them enough to know they can be little turds, but children offer us the gift of vulnerability and shamelessness. They offer the gift of imagination and story. 

Interrupting or preventing childhood trauma is huge for me so they may get to live in that gifted state for as long as possible. It is also vital for my own health to make space to be present with children where I get to travel in time to dwell in imagination, vulnerability and boldness. I know many hate to see the snow, but for me it was a time machine. 



No comments: