Juneau

Juneau

Monday, January 20, 2020

Fixing

I passed a snowman with serious issues today on my hike. Cassie barked at him and I considered fixing him. 

And then I asked the obvious question, "Why?" 
Why do I feel like I know the way things should be? 

Then I started laughing and Cassie barked more because I'm weird, but the snowman reminded me of the Jesus fresco in Spain that a parishioner tried to "fix" and Jesus ended up resembling a messed up monkey.

Here is my resolution on Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
I will not approach people as projects in need of fixing.

I think one of the first steps in violence and in racism is the dehumanization of the other and then the decision to either destroy or fix them. 

I will engage in relationships outside of my culture, age, gender, and all the other little boxes so my blind spots are revealed and my world becomes bigger. I miss our little interfaith group because this was one of the gifts we offered each other; we opened new perspectives and removed blinders. 

We didn't have to agree about beliefs or perspectives, but we could honor that folks were seeking to figure out salvation faithfully. I might find some things inaccurate or wrong, but I can only speak about what gives my life hope and meaning. 

I'm not in charge of fixing and we can look back at church history and see the many times the church tried to fix things and Jesus ended up defaced.

No comments: