Juneau

Juneau

Saturday, January 19, 2019

Commands

I don't think I would swear if I weren't a pastor. 

Even though, I'd still be a nerd, and it's important for nerds to be able to swear proficiently so I probably would still do it.

Part of the reason is that I love saying "shit". 

I remember saying it when I was trying to fix my laundry hamper in the third grade and I fell in love with the word and its ability to relieve tension.

I swear as a pastor not just for the enjoyment, but so I can be human and proclaim grace not good manners. There is often an assumption when people find out I'm a pastor that I'm trying to be better than others or judging them, until I open my mouth. That instantly diffuses any sense that I'm sitting above in the judgment seat and often I get to be on the receiving end of judgment.

That's fine. I just don't want anyone to be tempted to make Jesus's life about not swearing.

The top commands in the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John):
  • Love Your Neighbor, God, Your Enemies (21 times)
  • Behold/Pay Attention (144 times)
  • Do Not Fear (34 times)
  • Do Not Worry (12 times)
  • Do Not Judge (19 times)
  • Arise (16 times)
  • Forgive (23 times)

There are probably more and counting is a little tricky so don't hold me to the science. Yes, Jesus talks about morality and purity, but nowhere as often as he talks about love, worry, fear, judgment, and forgiveness. 

The two closest commands are about divorce and adultery, which get mentioned about 7 times. 

I think it is helpful for the church to step back from our hot moral debates and imagine if we argued about worry and fear like we do sexuality stuff. 

Or discussed paying attention and staying awake for life (Jesus' top command) like we do female leadership. 

Just imagine if we condemned fear like we do swearing. 

But, here's the thing about Jesus' commands: They are not given to us so we feel like shit about ourselves; they are guides into an abundance and freedom of life we might miss otherwise. 

They are gifts that allow us to release control and trust God.

There's no question I could be a better person, let alone pastor. I do feel badly about having too many beers and swearing loudly enough bowling for the teens next to us to hear. But, I apologized and let the kid punch me in the arm. I think he also delivers our pizza so I'm sure I'll get a chance to apologize again. I make stupid choices and I'm not always the person I should and could be. 

Hence, why I trust God and not myself. And why I'm so good at not judging others because it's not my job as a fellow sinner. My call is to love, behold, arise and forgive. My call is not to fear, worry, or judge. I love following Jesus and don't worry I'll probably give up swearing for Lent.







No comments: