Juneau

Juneau

Monday, April 23, 2018

Read More Books

Two things:

1. I learned at a blogging workshop to number things

2. I think that's silly, but I also learned to set a schedule for writing so I commit to writing every Monday. 

Blogging on a regular basis brings me delight and pushes me. Most of it is a "waste of time", but I've found that often  right in the middle of wasting time I see things new or make connections I otherwise would have missed. 

Here's the thing that feels a little self-promoting and weird. My blogs don't always fit into Facebook's algorithm so people don't get notification that I've posted something if it doesn't fit into what you normally read. I know it's slightly embarrassing to admit that you read this blog, but I've added a button so you will get notified when I post about my next favorite bodily function or chicken story that doesn't fit your demographic.

3. I hate tennis shoes. Seriously, I am self-conscious when I wear tennis shoes so when I ran into a door at the Festival of Faith and Writing I couldn't laugh it off like I normally would, but suddenly felt horrifyingly embarrassed and almost cried. 


The flight of ciders also made up for the door incident
It's all because of the tennis shoes. I struggle matching colors anyway and I don't understand how to coordinate them with the rest of my clothes, but I'm also strangely fascinated by how they make my feet look so I tend to stare at them. Hence, why I ran into the door and nearly knocked myself silly.

4. Other than that incident, the Festival of Faith and Writing was tremendous and inspiring. Often clergy continuing education events tend to be soul sucking. You go, hear the church is dying, get several tools to help it survive, and then return to the real world of death and dying. I tend to walk away with a mix of guilt and despair, which is why I go to the Festival of Faith and Writing in Grand Rapids. This celebration is mainly librarians and I get to be inspired, stretched, and imagine a different way to tell our story.

Here are some of the authors and books I walked away with:

Kwame Alexander told delightful stories about being affirmed in his being, even in a world that so often discounts young African-American men. He spoke of his friendship with Nikki Giovani, one of my favorite poets, and had us giggling hard. I picked up both Crossover and Rebound but I refuse to stand in line to get books signed.

Nikki Grimes was a hoot and a half and I bought Words with Wings because of her eloquence in defending the power of day dreaming.

Kate Bowler could be my new favorite person. I'm going to encourage everyone to buy Everything Happens for a Reason and Other Lies I've Loved.

Sandy Eisenberg Sasso is a rabbi who's written some fabulous resources for teaching children Bible stories in a way that you don't have to unteach them. I bought three books from her that I hope to incorporate into our storytelling.

Carrie Newcomer is a fabulous musician and storyteller so you should buy her CD right now, but I don't think people buy CDs anymore.

5. Read more books and listen to more music. Turn off the TV or computer and curl up with a book. In some ways, I think that's the healthiest thing we can do to sustain the church. Read, daydream, imagine.

No comments: