Juneau

Juneau

Monday, March 26, 2018

Oils

Who knew there were so many ways to bless oil in the church?

I'm not talking about the industry that fuels 85% of my state's budget, but the oil used for different ministries in the church. 

I brought the subject up at the local clergy group and learned lots about how the Catholics and Episcopalians bless their oil with a lot more effort and intentionality than Lutherans do. Surprise.

We were discussing the Service of Healing at Shepherd of the Valley and how I was moved by the intimacy and delight of anointing folks with oil. It freaks me out and brings me joy every year. Maybe "freaks me out" is strong. It's incredibly vulnerable and intense to touch people on the head, look them in the eyes and remind them that they are God's beloved while dousing them with oil. 

No oil, but a picture from our first Easter Egg hunt in Juneau
My lovely Episcopal and Catholic brothers have a big shindig with the bishop and priests to get the oil blessed for all its different uses (baptism, confirmation, healing, and ordination are the ones I know but there could be more). I was a bit envious because I do like worship shindigs.

But no shindigs for me. 

I walked into the kitchen, pulled the olive oil out of the cupboard and the community prayed over it in worship. I did pour it into a pretty cup so I'm not totally tacky, but that's pretty much how we witness things becoming holy. 

The common is given a purpose as a bearer of grace and a prayer for the Holy Spirit to show up. Bam. Holiness. Now you're sacred. 

I'd probably even say the oil is holy when it's poured into the pan to fry the onions for summer lunch or eggs for food pantry breakfast. God knows there are many prayers uttered when we're prepping those meals and the Holy Spirit is bouncing off the walls when we're gathering around the table and there is food for all.

Bam. Holiness. Now you're sacred.

Okay. Maybe the "bam" makes it ridiculous, but as much as I would love more pageantry, I appreciate the simplicity of how Lutherans approach the sacred because it's not just about making common things into sacred vessels; it's also about us




No comments: