Juneau

Juneau

Monday, September 11, 2017

Meat Bubble Wand

I decided to write again for two reasons:

1. Kirt goes off night shift and I can no longer stay up until 2 AM reading mysteries so I need to get a life. I also need a break after I was up half the night fretting about one of the characters. Do normal people invest this much emotional energy in books or is that reserved only for Dancing with the Stars?

2. I had a dream last night that made me wake up laughing. There I was up in a tree where I really wanted to blow some bubbles with the bubble mix I had handy, but I didn't have a bubble wand. Don't worry. I took the meat I was chewing and wove it together to make a bubble wand. Then, I started to brag to people in the dream about my amazing meat bubble wand. 

Last Human on Earth from Dr. Who.
Her face got smeared, which only
makes it creepier and more absurd
It still makes me laugh. If you were in my dream and saw the chewed up steak woven in a circle bubble wand, you would giggle too. My ideas are brilliant even in my dreams.

I remember after 9/11 David Letterman asked when it was okay to be funny again. It was a good question.

There is so much sadness and fear right now. There are obviously times when humor is inappropriate and disrespectful, but I would argue that we don't laugh nearly enough. If you are open to laughing then you also tend to be open to grieving. They come from the same place in your body and defy the urge to shutdown emotionally in the face of fear and sadness.

Laughter doesn't make me escape reality, but it helps me name the absurdity of life without being overwhelmed by it. 

Just say out loud "meat bubble wand" and you'll get a taste of what I mean. 


No comments: