Juneau

Juneau

Monday, March 6, 2017

Leather

There are days when I walk and wait for something profound, but all I get is the refrain from Rawhide or East Bounding Down. It was cold walking today and those are my endurance songs. Sorry Jesus, I know it should be something more spiritual. 

The thing that stands out the most today was my husband commenting I could "rock a leather unitard." You probably don't want to know how we got to that point in our conversation but it's not as interesting as one would imagine.

Then he said, "until you tried to move." When I finished laughing hysterically, I asked him what the hell he meant by that. 

His reply, "You'd look great in a leather unitard until you tried to move." 

I went through my possible scenarios for why he would say this, which I won't share, until he finally told me that he didn't think I could manage walking in stiletto heels. 

Oh baby. I am so getting stiletto heels. 

Except I won't. Because he's right.

Coordination is not my gift. I once gave myself two black eyes doing a back roll. I've been known to fall over just standing. And I should be given a wide berth if I'm carrying something hot or sharp.

Those are the warnings on my label.

Sometimes I think we should have warning labels identifying our challenges. I forget that I'm not gifted at lots of things. I'm not saying that to put myself down so don't feel like you need to immediately tell me how good my singing, dancing, or walking in stilettos is.

I am not good at many things. It doesn't keep me from trying them, just ask my softball team, but it does keep me ever dependent on the people around me. The world is only in trouble if I start believing that I'm awesome at everything and I don't need others. 

The world is in trouble when our egos get in the way and our exaggerated sense of self and ability impede healthy community. That's when order breaks down.

Just as a warning - there are many things I should never be in charge of and leather unitards and stiletto heels are definitely on the list.

No comments: