Juneau

Juneau

Monday, February 13, 2017

Words

My beloved suggested I might consider getting sexier underwear for Valentine's Day. 

That's not a bad thing. I forget to buy underwear so it is good to have a reminder, but we learned that we define sexy differently.

In my world, sexy means no rips, not white, and on sale. 

I quickly realized that the super saver pack of multi-colored underwear from Costco did not qualify as sexy. The fact that they were marked down an additional four dollars did not sway him.

My vocabulary is not extensive, but I'm trying to use more precise language and ask people to define what they mean when they use certain words.

There are some words I'm purging from my vocabulary completely (unless I forget).

1. Great. It means big or large. Historically, it measured size so it is difficult to know what we mean when we call something great other than it is big.

2. Good and bad. These don't seem like helpful categories. The roots for "good" are somewhat fascinating in that they mean "fitting, united, gracious." I'm not sure that's how we use "good" anymore. "Bad" is a "mystery word with no apparent relatives in other languages." It shows up in surnames (those Baddes are nothing but trouble), slander for men who are gay and people of color. We talk about "good guys" and "bad guys" but I don't know what that means.

3. Boring.  I hate this word with a burning hate. It means "that which pierces us and causes us ennui or annoyance". Why would anyone say something is boring, when you can say, "this is causing me ennui"?

4. Stupid.  We think it means dumb, but it's root is related to "stupor." It means "to be stunned by grief or surprise, amazed or astounded." 

My favorite words:
1. Phlegmatic (fleg-matic). It sounds like some kind of machine sold on infomercials, but it means "cool, not easily excited to action or display of emotion, apathetic, sluggish." Not only does it describe most adolescents, but it is a hoot to say.

2. Ennui (anwee). Again, fun to say and it means "a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement." It comes from the Latin that means "it is hateful to me." That opens up a whole new way to express disgust.

3. Fabulous.  I probably love this word more than I should. It can also mean "really large" but I love that it means, "having no basis in reality." It's related to our word "fable" and I feel like fabulous describes a lot of my life.

4. Serendipitous. For some reason, it makes me think of ice cream but means, "occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way." All those relationships and experiences that surprise me. I love that there's a word for them.

5. Chit. If you ever think you hear me swear, I am saying chit. Chit can mean either a small note/memo, an immature girl, or causing a potato to sprout. 

Using precise language and defining words can save us from so many misunderstandings (and the $10 I wasted on new underwear).




2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot woo-hoo and hoot, which you say quite often.

Tari Stage-Harvey said...

Good point. I also forgot delightful. I love that word.