Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Football

There was a very sweet moment hiking with my beloved when he started to talk about football. He talked for ten minutes about OSU and the big ten and standings and southern teams. And I dutifully said uh-huh until he turned around and laughed.

I hate football. Unless I'm playing. I like tackling. And throwing the ball, but I don't like breaking my nails when I catch the ball. My favorite football game ever was with all the drama majors in college. I think we gave up on the ball and just did combat mime tackling.

I went to an Ohio State game once. The stadium seats over 100,000 people and each ticket goes for at least $65. I sat there doing the math and had a moment of horror. In case you can't do the math that fast, it's a lot of money.

I try not to get all judgmentally, but holy. Watching football just seems like a strange priority.

I hear folks talk about not having enough time and money. I participate in the talk more than I like, but when I do a reality check it is a question of priorities.

One of the greatest lessons I ever had in money management came when I was a T.A. in seminary. I graded papers for $8 an hour and I could normally grade three or four papers an hour. Those weren't always the most entertaining hours.

What it did for me was helped me evaluate costs. If something cost $24, then it meant three hours of work and twelve papers. Was it worth twelve papers? I lived without a lot of things that year.

I worry about the burden of debt folks carry and what it does to our soul. I worry about our sense of time being so scarce. There are many social justice issues around people making a living wage and our long work week. I don't want to devalue that conversation, but I also think we need to be aware of our priorities around money and time.

Where and how do we spend time and money as individuals and as a society? It's well worth tracking yourself for a week to see. We vote with our money and choices way more than our whining in a blog.

And now I laugh at myself after buying a month of TV so I can watch the World Series. But baseball is completely different.

No comments: