Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Forget Me Nots

One of the fun things about living in a rain forest is watching everyone frantically try to mow their foot high grass after three weeks of rain. It was fun watching others, but I was slightly disgruntled trying to push my way through the mess and then rake. I hate to rake. An alpaca is looking better every day.

When I got tired, I wandered around my yard fantasizing about my new alpaca and where I could let her sleep at night when I discovered Forget-me-nots scattered in a forgotten flower bed. I know nothing about flowers. I describe them much like cars, red ones, yellow ones, blue ones.

But, Forget-me-nots are different. They have my heart. I love them for the same reason I want an alpaca. They are wee and feisty.

Forget-me-nots appear so delicate and stunningly beautiful, but they are resilient little burgers that will grow in some wild places. They will not only grow, but happily take over and surprise you with a burst of blue where you least expect it.

I suppose as we prepare to hand our kids back over to the schools and peers, my hope is for them to be beautiful and resilient, gentle and sturdy. (I love the definition of beauty "delighting the senses and mind").

I want them to have tender hearts and thick skins. Elijah wanted and got a beret and typewriter for his birthday. When we did our birthday blessings at dinner tonight, Hannah commented on his gentle spirit. That's true. He can be a turd, but he is incredibly sensitive to the world around him and that is scary. It feels like a set-up for mockery.

Having a tender heart means you are vulnerable and you will be hurt. Having thick skin means you've figured out ways to thrive and keep going even in the hurt. Much like the Forget-me-nots.

It's not easy. There are times I'd love to have a few more callouses and hard spots on my heart. Then I see the Forget-me-not and it is a great reminder it is possible to be delicate and beautiful while at the same time tough and wild.

I'm not sure if the same is true of alpacas, but I think I'll stick with the flowers until I find someone else to do yard pick-up duty.

No comments: