Juneau

Juneau

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Blinded by the Light

I try not to wince in the sunshine. I realize that it is a bad habit we develop in Southeast Alaska on these few sunny days. We look like a group of vampires exposed to the destructive power of ultraviolet rays.

I'm fine once I'm out in it. Everything is overwhelmingly sharp and amazingly beautiful. I just need to practice the initial reaction of walking into such brilliance.

It does make me think in this season of light and darkness that light can be just as blinding and discombobulating as darkness. I hike and ski well enough in the dark. I've figured out ways to navigate and my other senses are so much sharper.

But, I have managed to run into trees or step over my boots in creeks on sunny days because I am looking at how breathtaking Mt. McGinnis is. I've had to do double takes of what is real because the reflections in Mendenhall Lake are so crisp that they turn the world upside down. The light pulls me out of paying attention to what is in front of me, the details surrounding me.

I appreciate the light, but it would kill me if we had to live in it all the time (I seem to remember a cribbage game that lasted till 3 am this past summer because we could still see to peg). I can't sustain that kind of life so I suppose I appreciate the tension of light and darkness. When it comes down to it, I appreciate the cloudy days where I can see where I'm going and stay focused on what is right there in front of me.

I'm thankful for the beautiful day today, for the extra 16 seconds of daylight. I'm thankful for Jesus the light in the midst of the darkness. He doesn't make the darkness go away, but gives us enough gray to make us pay attention to what is around us and grapple together figuring out what love and forgiveness look like in this mess.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Every single gray, dreary day we have I wish you were here to tell me how great it is. And on our glorious sunny days, we laugh about your solar avoidance. Miss you, & the rest of your beautiful family (but you can keep the SE AK weather )!!

Lynn, Mike, & Kyle