Juneau

Juneau

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Random Religion

We stepped inside a church for the first time yesterday. It was a Catholic church built in 1845. We stepped in and affirmed our baptisms from the waters held in a 100 year old shell. Then, we got kicked out. I didn't dunk my head or anything, but a fellow came running up the aisle saying, "I lock now" so we left. Sophie and I had a lovely conversation about how good it was to be in the midst of the church even when we get kicked out, but I was slightly disturbed by the "Shazam Jesus" as my friend Whitney called him.

I've worshiped in many churches in Africa where Jesus and we were the only white people. How fascinating to have the incarnational God in the image of a colonial power. I'll have to walk through Shepherd of the Valley to look at Jesus on our walls and see what we are communicating because I don't pay that much attention.

We have spent quite a bit of time in other places of worship. We've been in mosques, temples, and shrines. My favorite experience was in the Burmese Buddhist temple the night they were inducting new monks. Kirt became best buds with one of the monks while we explored. There was a stage with serious music equipment and a fog machine. That wasn't expected. As we have wandered through the different places of worship, it is hard to miss the overarching theme that light conquers darkness.  Other than that, there are lots of major differences.

I sat with a young Muslim girl at a bus stop the other day and she was telling me how much she loved living in Malaysia because they celebrate everyone's holidays. Last weekend was Eid Al-Adha (the Muslim festival of sacrifice to remember Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Ishmael). Next weekend is Diwali, the Hindu festival of light and new year. As Wikipedia says, "The festival spiritually signifies the victory of light over darkness, knowledge over ignorance, good over evil, and hope over despair."  We've been here for the Chinese Moon Cake festival and the Dragon King festival, but I don't think kids got out of school for those.

My young friend talked about going to her friends' houses to celebrate the different days with them and how much she loved that. I think she hit on something as we begin thinking of building bridges with other cultures and religions. We don't have to whitewash everything to a pasty white, but somehow we can remain who we are and receive and offer hospitality. Be a guest and open your home to guests. That's how we get to know and love each other in all our similarities and differences. A fog machine helps too.

No comments: