Juneau

Juneau

Friday, September 28, 2018

Standing

I rarely engage politics in a public setting. It's not that I don't feel strongly about certain issues, but yelling them at someone has not proved to be an effective tool. I'm deeply troubled by the threats of violence and hateful speech that's pouring out of folks.

I write letters and contact my legislators on a regular basis. I rarely endorse a candidate, even though I am impressed with Independent Alyse Galvin, especially after Rep. Young voted for cutting SNAP (food stamps). 

I return to Father Boyle's statement regularly, "The strategy of Jesus is not centered on taking the right stand on issues, but rather standing in the right place." Ministry is about standing with people not turning them into issues or pawns in a game. 

I don't listen to or watch U.S. news; I either read it or listen to CBC. I'm going to encourage us all to take a break from TV news for the sake of blood pressure. I did listen to the hearings yesterday and I felt physically ill. I feel so much grief for people and for my nation; it's going to take a while to process all that went on.

But there are times when things need to be spoken out loud so I'm sharing the letter I wrote to Senator  Murkowski nearly two weeks ago:


Dear Senator Murkowski,

I am a Lutheran pastor in Juneau, Alaska. I want to thank you for your work securing childhood nutrition and your advocacy for SNAP. We run a small food pantry that grew into a summer lunch program with an average of 60 kids a day that grew into a hospitality network for families who are homeless. We know and love lots of vulnerable folks.

I serve a congregation where the general manager of one of the mines and a transgender Native Alaskan adolescent participate. We are a diverse community with lively conversation and engagement across the lines our society has created.

Part of a healthy community is engaging and having empathy for the struggles of others, especially those on the margins.

I ask that you vote against confirming Judge Kavanaugh. 

I do not oppose Judge Kavanaugh because of his stance on issues. After reading some of his articles and rulings, I find a lack of empathy and understanding for those on the margins. He shows a disconnect from knowing the struggles of immigrants, the poor, LGBTQ folks, people of color, Native Americans, and those living with disabilities. 

Nominees may have stances on issues, but that is not what I examine. I look at what people someone is standing with because people are not issues. If one does not know a Native Alaskan, a child, or someone who is transgender, then it is easy to tow a line dismissing their rights. When one knows and loves a beautiful child who you want to keep safe, then issues die away and humanity is preserved with just laws. 


I do not see evidence of Judge Kavanaugh as someone who either knows or will protect the “least of these.” I encourage you to vote against his confirmation.

No comments: